The bathroom is a sanctuary within our homes, a place of relaxation, rejuvenation, and personal care. When creating a truly stunning bathroom, no detail should be overlooked, including the often neglected area—the toilet. The toilet area plays a pivotal role in the overall functionality and aesthetic appeal of a bathroom, and a well-designed and thoughtfully renovated toilet can elevate the entire space, adding a touch of elegance and luxury.
In this article, we will explore the top 10 toilet renovation ideas that can transform your bathroom into a captivating haven. From lighting upgrades to creative storage solutions, statement fixtures, and personal touches, we'll provide you with many inspiring ideas to breathe new life into your toilet area. So, prepare to embark on a journey of bathroom transformation and discover how these ideas can turn an ordinary toilet into a stunning centrepiece of your dream bathroom.
1. Lighting Upgrades
- Consider installing stylish vanity lights around the mirror to provide optimal illumination for grooming tasks and to add a touch of elegance and choose fixtures that complement the overall design theme of your bathroom.
- Recessed lighting is another excellent option for toilet renovations because these lights are embedded in the ceiling, providing a clean and streamlined look, and they offer a soft, diffused glow, creating a serene and inviting atmosphere.
- Consider incorporating a statement pendant light above the toilet area and choose a fixture with a unique design or an eye-catching material that adds visual interest and serves as a focal point to create a bold statement.
- Consider installing dimmer switches that allow you to adjust the lighting intensity according to your preference and mood because this versatility enables you to create a cosy and relaxing ambience or bright and functional lighting when needed.
2. Colour and Texture
- A brightly coloured accent wall behind the toilet or a vibrant backsplash can add personality and create a sense of energy, so consider using bold and vibrant colours to create a striking visual impact.
- Consider the shades of white, beige, or soft pastels because these soothing and neutral colours can create a calming and spa-like atmosphere and contribute to a serene and relaxing toilet area.
- Don't forget about the flooring. Use textured tiles or natural stone for the bathroom floor to add warmth and visual richness. Alternatively, opt for patterned or textured vinyl or linoleum flooring for a budget-friendly option that still provides a stylish look.
3. Statement Fixtures
- Consider opting for a decorative toilet bowl with intricate patterns or unique shapes because these statement pieces can transform a mundane fixture into a work of art, becoming a conversation starter in your bathroom.
- Upgrade the flush plate. Instead of a standard flush button or lever, choose a stylish flush plate with an exciting design made from high-quality materials such as brushed metal or glass that can elevate the aesthetics of the toilet area.
- Statement faucets can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to the toilet area, so look for faucets with modern or vintage-inspired designs, unusual finishes, or distinctive handles to elevate the overall appeal of your toilet.
- Always consider your bathroom's overall style and theme and choose fixtures that complement the existing design elements or create an intentional contrast to make them stand out even more.
4. Space Optimisation
- To create a sleek and streamlined look while maximising the available space, you can install a wall-mounted toilet to save floor space by eliminating the visible tank and hiding the plumbing system behind the wall.
- Incorporate corner sinks designed to fit into tight corners to use otherwise unused space efficiently.
- Opt for floating shelves of wall-mounted cabinets and install them above or next to the toilet to keep essentials within reach and additional storage without taking up valuable floor space to maintain a clutter-free environment.
- Install a large mirror above the sink or choose mirrored cabinets to visually expand the toilet area and create an illusion of a larger space with reflected lights making the space feel more open and airy.
5. Creative Storage Solutions
- Built-in cabinets provide ample storage while maintaining a streamlined appearance, and place them above or beside the toilet to store extra toilet paper, cleaning supplies, or other bathroom essentials.
- Install tall and slim storage units or ladder shelves because these vertical storage solutions are perfect for storing towels, baskets with toiletries, or even potted plants, and they can add visual interest to the toilet area while maximising storage capacity.
- Incorporate stylish baskets or bins to keep small items organised and place them on open shelves, inside cabinets, or on the floor to be easily accessible.
- Install hooks or small shelves on the back of the cabinet doors to hang towels, robes, or small toiletry items because this hidden storage solution keeps items neatly tucked away while maximising space efficiency.
6. Green and Sustainable Features
- Opt for low-flow toilets that use less water per flush, or consider dual-flush toilets because it allows users to choose between a low-volume flush for liquid waste and a higher-volume flush for solid waste.
- Consider using recycled or sustainable materials in your toilet area, like countertops or vanity tops made from recycled glass or bamboo.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with energy-saving LED lights because they consume less energy, have a longer lifespan, and are available in various colour temperatures allowing you to create the desired ambience in your bathroom.
7. High-Tech Upgrades
- Smart toilets come with various advanced functionalities such as heated seats, bidet functions, adjustable water temperature, and even self-cleaning capabilities, as they offer a new level of comfort and hygiene and provide personalised settings for each user.
- Motion sensor faucets automatically detect the presence of hands and turn on the water flow, reducing the need for touching handles and minimising water wastage.
- LED-lit mirrors with built-in touch controls provide ambient lighting options that allow you to adjust the brightness and colour temperature to suit your needs.
8. Statement Wallpaper or Tile
- Wallpaper with bold patterns and vibrant colours, or floral prints, geometric designs, or abstract motifs can create a visually striking backdrop, instantly transforming the toilet area from ordinary to extraordinary.
- If you prefer a more subtle approach, textured or metallic wallpapers can add depth and dimension to the toilet area without overpowering the overall design to create a sense of luxury and sophistication, making the toilet area feel more upscale.
- Remember to balance the statement wallpaper or tile with the rest of the bathroom's design elements. Consider the colour palette, fixtures, and overall theme to ensure a cohesive and harmonious look, and the statement wallpaper or tile should complement and enhance the existing aesthetics of the bathroom.
9. Personal Touches and Accessories
- Hang artwork or framed photographs on the walls to bring a personal touch to the space, and choose pieces that resonate with you, whether it's a favourite painting, a family photo, or a motivational quote.
- Decorative designs, such as vases, candles, or sculptures, complement your bathroom's overall theme and colours and can add a touch of elegance and charm to the toilet area.
- Don't forget about plants! Adding greenery to the toilet area can breathe life into the space, create a fresh and calming atmosphere, and helps to improve the air quality. However, choose low-maintenance plants that thrive in bathroom conditions, such as ferns, pothos, or snake plants.
10. Enhanced Ventilation and Odour Control
- Proper ventilation helps prevent the growth of mould and mildew, so consider installing a high-quality exhaust fan with a high airflow rating and a quiet operation to remove excess moisture and odours from the toilet area effectively.
- Utilise air fresheners or odour-neutralising products, and choose natural or eco-friendly options that do not contain harsh chemicals or synthetic fragrances to keep the toilet area smelling fresh.
- Use reed diffusers, essential oil diffusers, or natural sprays to help control odours while providing a pleasant and inviting aroma.
Start of Stunning Toilet Transformation
Renovating the toilet area is an opportunity to transform an often overlooked space into a stunning and functional part of your bathroom, and by implementing the right ideas, you can create a toilet area that not only meets your practical needs but also reflects your style and personality.
Atoilet area can be a place where style meets functionality, and a well-designed and renovated toilet area can enhance your overall bathroom experience with personal touches to create a sense of comfort. Implementing these top ten toilet renovation ideas, you can achieve a stunning interior design transformation that will delight you every time you step into your beautiful and functional toilet area.
Recommended products for this article
Compact Black Polypropylene Dustbin 7L (Tramontina)
Regular price $14.90
Elegance Toilet Brush (Stefanplast)
Regular price $18.60$18.60
HOUZE - Diatomite Absorbent Mat (Large) - Marble
- home renovation
- home renovation guides
- Interior Design Inspirations
- Previous post
- Next post
In same category
Art Deco Interior Design: Complete Guide
Creative Ideas for Crafting Your Dream Scandinavian Kitchen
12 Must-Try Scandi-licious Interior Design Hacks for a Nordic-Inspired Home
Related by tags
Art Deco Interior Design: Complete Guide
Creative Ideas for Crafting Your Dream Scandinavian Kitchen
Use White for Elegant Simplicity. White cabinets and countertops create the backdrop for a simple and elegant bathroom. Use a light neutral paint color and white bath linens to create a high-end hotel bathroom style. A casual bathroom can look more expensive if you splurge on quality white towels and rugs.How do you make an old fashioned bathroom look nice? ›
Penny floor tiles, substantial woodwork, and a subway-tile backsplash are classic vintage bathroom ideas. An old-fashioned light fixture and made-over mirror above the pedestal sink reinforce the style. A beat-up metal table takes the place of a vanity countertop; a wood crate below contributes distressed texture.What color makes a bathroom look bigger? ›
So what colors make a bathroom look bigger? According to basic design principles, light colors such as white, crème, pastel blue, gray or yellow will visually expand a room, while dark colors such as a deep red, green or brown, will make a room feel smaller.What is the biggest expense in bathroom remodel? ›
Usually, the most expensive part of a bathroom remodel is labor, tile work, and plumbing. While these areas are superior, there are other aspects like layout changes, shower, etc., that can raise the budget according to your preferences.How do you modernize a bathroom? ›
- Paint the Walls. A fresh coat of paint will help your bathroom look clean and new. ...
- Install Beadboard or Wainscoting. ...
- Paint Vanity Cabinets. ...
- Upgrade the Bath Fan. ...
- Replace Your Showerhead, Faucet and Hardware. ...
- Change Light Fixtures. ...
- Clean and Paint Old Hardware. ...
- Upgrade to Reusable Containers.
As a result, it's no surprise that bathtubs are one of the most popular features in new homes. In fact, according to a recent study by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), over 50 percent of home buyers prefer a master bath with a bathtub and a shower as opposed to just a shower stall.What is the first thing to do in a bathroom remodel? ›
- Gather ideas. The first step is to decide how you want your bathroom to look when the project is complete. ...
- Decide what needs to be changed or added. ...
- Decide whether to do it yourself or hire a contractor. ...
- Establish a budget. ...
- Order materials. ...
- Complete your design and pull permits.
The bathroom fitters are unanimous—if you're looking for a high quality finish, with a better seal against water damage, then always tile the floor first.How many hours does it take to renovate a bathroom? ›
On average, a small complete bathroom remodel can be done in about 23 days under ideal circumstances. Assuming that no work is done on weekends, this translates to about 4 1/2 weeks—slightly more than one month—if the work proceeds uniformly with no breaks.How can I make my bathroom look timeless? ›
- Tip #1: Be Deliberate About Color Scheme. ...
- Tip 3: Consider Your Vanity. ...
- Tip #4: Go for Marble (or Quartz) Counters. ...
- Tip #5: Choose Fixtures in a Timeless Style and Finish.
- Use More of a Less Expensive Tile. ...
- Install the Tile in an Unusual Pattern. ...
- Pair Cheap Tile With a More Luxurious Tile. ...
- Use Tile Colors Effectively and Harmoniously. ...
- Make sure Your Edges Are Finished.
According to top interior designers, modern blue, light green, and warmer neutral bathroom color schemes are popular in 2023. These are a continuation of 2022's best bathroom color trends in many ways. In a similar fashion, shades like taupe, all-white bathrooms, and warm natural undertones are also trending this year.What is a pretty color for a bathroom? ›
Soothing neutrals in blue, green, and gray will help create a relaxing, spa-like vibe for your bathroom. Look for colors inspired by nature like soft sage, sky blue, and ash gray. If you prefer warmer colors, opt for a pale yellow, warm beige, or even a delicate blush color to give the space a welcoming glow.What is the most relaxing color for a bathroom? ›
Charcoal + White + Teal
Deep hues can create a sense of comfort while introducing an element of drama. Charcoal, which is warmer than other grays but not as harsh as black, pairs with white and wood tones to form a calming bathroom color scheme. Teal accessories brighten the look.
Cabinets: The Most Expensive Part Of A Kitchen Remodel
Cabinets are the most expensive part of a kitchen remodel, regardless of whether you are installing brand-new kitchen cabinets or want to refresh your old cabinets.
Porcelain and ceramic tile are the most popular and budget-friendly choices.What type of tile is best for bathrooms? ›
Ceramic or Porcelain Tile
The most popular choice for bathrooms is tile. Specifically, ceramic and porcelain tiles are great options for bathrooms. Tile flooring is resilient, waterproof, available in a variety of colors and designs, and generally less expensive than other hard surface options.
- Invest in a luxurious new vanity unit. ...
- Add character with flooring. ...
- Restyle the basin backsplash. ...
- Go all out with a dramatic wallcovering. ...
- Add interest with artwork. ...
- Paint unexpected surfaces. ...
- Upgrade the lighting to something special. ...
- Make space to display high end accessories.
Shower and tub
The focal point of any bathroom is the shower and/or tub, so it should come as no surprise that remodeling them offers the highest ROI. If you're upgrading your master bathroom, replacing your tub with a large walk-in shower can raise your home's value.
Do you get cleaner in a shower or a bath? First, let's address the obvious: Showers are cleaner than baths. If your priority is finding a way to thoroughly cleanse your entire body, a shower is the way to go. Showers evenly distribute water over your body and whisk contaminated water out of sight.
We highly recommend porcelain tiles that look like hardwood planks, or even a parquet, for any room in your home. The same rules apply with porcelain wood-look tiles: use neutral colors, match the overall design style of the home, and make sure the shapes/design are trendy but not too niche.What should you remodel first? ›
Practically speaking, you'll want to do the kitchen remodel first because that work will create the most dust and debris, which you won't want to land on new paint or finish jobs. It's always a good idea to isolate any demolition mess by putting plastic over doorways or pass-throughs.What order should you decorate a bathroom? ›
- First fix. The first fix consists of any plumbing and electrical requirements.
- Wall coverings. Walls are covered with your choice of tile or wall boards.
- Floor coverings. Floors are covered with your choice of tile or vinyl flooring.
- Sanitary ware and furniture installation. ...
- Finishing touches.
- Strip out and removal.
- Structural work – floors, ceilings, walls.
- First fix work – plumbing, heating wiring.
- Plastering, flooring.
- Second fix work – plumbing, heating, wiring.
- Bathroom, kitchen fit-out.
The five fixtures of a 5-piece bath could technically be any of the following: Sink, sink, toilet, shower, bathtub (most common arrangement) Sink, sink, toilet, double shower. Sink, sink, toilet, shower, bidet.What is the rules of bathroom layout? ›
Plan a clear floor space of at least 30 inches from the front edge of all fixtures (lavatory, toilet, bidet, tub, and shower) to any opposite bath fixture, wall, or obstacle. Code Requirements: A minimum space of 21 inches must be planned in front of the lavatory, toilet, bidet, and tub.Should bathroom floor be lighter or darker than walls? ›
As a general rule of thumb, it is best for a bathroom floor to be a darker shade than the accompanying walls and ceiling. However, if your personal preference dictates, you can choose to be adventurous and go against the grain in this regard.Can you remodel a bathroom in 3 days? ›
If you're using a remodeler whom you share with other clients, expect the bathroom remodel timeline to take longer, as much as four days. If you're the sole client, expect one to two days.How much does it cost to remodel a 5x7 bathroom? ›
In summary, the cost of a 5×7 bathroom remodel in 2023 can vary greatly, depending on the location, materials used, extent of the renovation and additional features. A basic remodel can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000, while a more extensive remodel can cost between $15,000 to $30,000.How much does it cost to remodel a bathroom? ›
|Type of Bathroom Remodel||Average Cost||Average Time|
|Half-bath remodel||$2,000–$5,000||5–7 days|
|Full bath remodel||$6,000–$15,000||10–14 days|
|Primary bath remodel||$10,000–$30,000||15–25 days|
|Wet room installation||$11,000–$18,000||10–30 days|
Another tile pattern that's been around for more than a century: penny tiles. First made of unglazed white porcelain in the early 1900s, these small circular tiles have been a popular choice for bathroom floors for decades. To maintain a timeless style, opt for penny tiles in neutral colors and classic materials.What bathroom colors don't go out of style? ›
Black and white
A simple color palette is always the best, most enduring choice, particularly in the bathroom. (How many purple or orange bathrooms have you seen, anyway?)
- Double Shower. An indulgent double shower provides tons of space for solo or couples showers. ...
- Freestanding Soaking Tub. ...
- Glass Paneling and Partitions. ...
- Luxury Mirror. ...
- Home Spa. ...
- Towel Warmers. ...
- Smart Toilet. ...
- Heated Floors.
Space is almost a synonym to a luxurious bathroom. The larger and more spacious the bathroom the more luxurious it feels. Having different spaces allotted for the shower base, a dry area to change, some room to move about, etc helps create an environment of richness and finesse.What color tile makes bathroom look bigger? ›
So what colors make a bathroom look bigger? According to basic design principles, light colors such as white, crème, pastel blue, gray or yellow will visually expand a room, while dark colors such as a deep red, green or brown, will make a room feel smaller.What tile makes a room look bigger? ›
Larger tiles will trick the eye and make a room look bigger,rather than smaller. The main reason for this is that larger tiles reduce the 'busy' factor, whereas smaller tiles, such as mosaics (with comparatively more grout lines), will increase how busy the design looks.How do you make a small apartment bathroom look luxurious? ›
- Clean your bathroom with green, all-natural products. ...
- Keep the bathroom smelling fresh with natural scents. ...
- Paint the walls (check with management first). ...
- Display your Instagrammable bath products on your vanity or shelves. ...
- Replace your old light fixture.
Finally, our advice is to use a horizontal floor tile pattern to widen your floor space. Horizontal floor tiles are successful in making the room look less cramped, and making your small bathroom appear that much larger.How can I upgrade my bathroom tile without replacing it? ›
- Use Vinyl Flooring. ...
- Roll out Rugs and Carpets. ...
- Install Laminated Wooden Flooring. ...
- Opt for an Epoxy coating. ...
- Choose Artificial Grass. ...
- Just Clean the Tiles.
Hotel style bathrooms have open and easy-to-access storage--niches in the showering area or a long vanity top. Include some concealed storage in your bathroom to avoid cluttering the space. Think streamlined and bold. You can also install shelves to enhance the design and function of your bathroom.
- Paint a feature wall. ...
- Go big with wall art. ...
- Redecorate / paint. ...
- Use colour cleverly. ...
- Declutter. ...
- Decorate with candles and mirrors. ...
- Add house plants and flowers.